Day 5: Manitou Beach, Saskatchewan to Cold Lake, Alberta


I finally made it to my parent's in Cold Lake, Alberta! This is NOT where we grew up (PArksville on Vancouver Island, the real West Coast), but my brother works in the oil fields so this is where they live now :)

Day 5 by the numbers:

Km travelled: 611 km

Time travelled: Almost 7 hours (gravel roads do no let you drive very fast!)

Wildlife see: 1 wolf running across the gravel "highway", Canadian geese, a pheasant (yes, I know what "eating" birds look like, elk (which got me excited until I saw 6 of them and realized it was an elk farm), a few hawks/falcons and cows and horses.

Cost-Co pit stops: 1 in Saskatoon, also got gas and hot pickled green beans.

Times a bit nervous: more than 1 as the numbered highway in Northern Saskatchewan was like a gravel road in the middle of no where!!!

Observations:

I have begun to like cruise control, which I always resisted. When you have a lead foot and open highways (and don't want a ticket) you really need it.

Travelling solo is fun when you know you can share everything with friends and family through this blog.

Instagram live videos are easier to use than Facebook.

Some photos of the day!



It really is salty - no natural beach... 

It was COLD - and yellowy from the minerals... tasted clean.

no natural beach... honestly there is A LOT of room for development on the site...  extreme potential though...
Cost Co pit stop in Saskatoon - this was the only cool thing I saw - I did not feel a kinship with this store's target customers... but the gas bar had cheap gas

Brand new mosque in Saskatoon.... I am sure they are happy it will be ready for Ramadan later in the month! 
There are a surprising number of decrepit building that I have seen on my drive - makes me wonder if there is a market for distressed wood.... 




Open road - and more open road!
Fire?

Pumping natural resources and creating jobs!

We control cheese, wheat and our farmers are better off for it (consumers in another story)

Yes, times like these I used cruise control!!!!
Weird numbered "highway" in the middle of nowhere - tons of water on either side, gravel and lots of wildlife... 
Numbered highway in Saskatchewan... 







Arrived in to Alberta with CF18s above me and trucks driving faster than me... I knew I had arrived in Cold Lake! 
 



Comments

  1. Love your comments, photos and observations. What a wonderful voyage you're undertaking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! I was a bit nervous before I headed out - but I experienced so many moments of joy and wonder I am so happy I used smile and courage and just dd it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Nipigon, Ontario to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba

Review of my 2017 Buick Encore AWD