Review of my 2017 Buick Encore AWD

After driving 3,500+ km across five provinces and lots of different terrain - and a couple months in Quebec where I drove more than the average - I decided to add a review of my car to the blog.

My car cleaned and ready for the trip!
All my time in the UAE I rented - for the most part a Honda Accord - which was fine and good on gas, but not what I wanted for Canada. I had rented a Trax and an Encore last summer and knew I liked them... and my Dad has been pushing for the Encore for a couple of years (he loves Buicks). So with the help of an awesome broker (email for his name if you live around Rosemere, QC) I got a 2017 Buick Encore AWD - the Premium edition (because I wanted the bigger engine and heated seats).

So first what I LOVE 💗

  • The heated seats - really it was on my list of "musts" after so many years living in the desert I know I have turned into a wimp! Also the lumbar support is spectacular - I wasn't stiff at all after 5 days of long days of driving.
  • The colour - although as it turns out a lot of people love this colour and I see it everywhere :)
  • Heated steering wheel (see above)
  • The engine - I can pass big rigs on a hill without breaking a sweat - important for driving in Canada outside the prairies
  • The rear camera and alerts for backing up - still not 100% used to it, and rely mainly on my mirrors... but really it is nice, especially in parking lots.
  • The system that lets me use my phone hands free... (since I have to rely on my iPhone navigation system more than I thought I would have to)
  • The touch locks and touch ignition - I always have too much in my purse, and struggle to find my key, so not having to find my keys has been so liberating! Also, as a safety feature for women it is A*.
Haven't used the lane advisor much as I don't drive sleepy - LOVE the heated seats and heated steering wheel (my sister, brother in law and nieces have all enjoyed the heated passenger seat as well). Added bonus it heats up fast.... 


Bugs and dirt and grime lost their battle :)

Things I am neutral to positive about:

  • The sun roof... it is fine, and the tilt is nice... but I don't really see the value to pay extra for it (but it came with the stuff I did want to pay extra for)
  • On Star - used it once when the navigation on the car was bugging out... wanted to try it because it was free... but won't pay for it in the future... maybe if I loved in the boonies... but not living in a city or suburbs...
  • Sirius radio - they repeat songs too much, but I know I will keep it after the trial as I like what I like and radio stations that play what I like are hard to find in Quebec outside of Montreal.
Sunroof
Things I do not like:
  • Number 1 thing I dislike so much I might not buy the car again in the future (although truly I love the car), is the SMALL gas tank. I can get 5 hours of driving in - that is just annoying on long trips, especially when gas stations are sometimes long distances apart and on unfamiliar roads. 
  • The navigation system is not that great - doesn't give choice in routes, is not good at all with French names of towns (e.g. only gives 12 options for town names beginning in Saint(e) - and there are at least 12 Saint(e) towns in  Quebec every 10 square km). Also, led me down a GRAVEL road with water up to the very narrow "shoulder" on both sides on my last leg. Kind of nerve racking... (I assume responsibility... but still, what if it had been someone not used to bush country).
So all in all a very nice car. I am happy with it, with the dealership, and how cute it is. It is easy to drive, has pep and is super comfortable. Just HATE the small gas tank. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Nipigon, Ontario to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba

Day 5: Manitou Beach, Saskatchewan to Cold Lake, Alberta