Some towns I will travel through: Quebec

I have called the Province of Quebec "home" since January 2000 - of course with an extended break in Abu Dhabi for seven and a half years. However, there is still so much of the province I have not visited and I am looking forward to passing through some famous towns in the Northish/Southish West of the Province.

The first town that I will hit (to gas up as it is way cheaper than places closer to Montreal) is Saint Jerome... Then Prévost (where they make the buses if I am not mistaken) and then Mont Tremblant (which I am sure you have all heard of) and #funfact opened its first ski lift in 1939!

After this will be new territory for me - and it really looks on the map as if I will be entering the Canadian Shield of many lakes and rivers and few human settlements! Learning about the this huge geographical monster (8 million square kilometres) I honestly never thought I would visit it, and I always felt it protected us from something. Now I will drive through it for hours on end! #Funfact the Canadian Shield does protect us in a way, as it acts like a huge carbon sink. Also, it has diamonds in it - which is quite awesome.


It looks like a few hours will be spent travelling through the Verendrye Wildlife Reserve. It has over 4,000 lakes, 1,000 campsites, fishing, hunting - and I have never been!

After the reserve I will be entering softwood lumber territory in the region of Abitibi-Témiscamingue. I am looking forward to passing through Val D'Or - which translates as Valley of Gold - in fact it was founded as a gold mining town.



Now Rouyn-Noranda (Noranda = contraction of Northern Canada), the town I might pass just north of, and which Wikipedia tells me started life as a copper mining town (and still has a smelter), I have inexplicably always wanted to see. Go figure. Might not this time through, maybe on the way back!

Then I will enter Ontario - and I hope to stay at a town called Moonbeam. Because who doesn't want to sleep in a town called Moonbeam!

Tomorrow I will post about some of the things I am buying/bringing for the trip. Of course it is illegal to bring adult beverages across Provincial borders, even for personal consumption. So surely I will be  bringing not even one sample bottle of any microbrewery or cider house or anything of the sort.




La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Nipigon, Ontario to Portage la Prairie, Manitoba

Review of my 2017 Buick Encore AWD

Day 5: Manitou Beach, Saskatchewan to Cold Lake, Alberta